General Summary of Duties
Provides general nursing care to patients in the Portland Endoscopy Center by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform the duties of the patient admission nurse, if part of his/her job description.
- Perform the duties of the endoscopy nurse, if part of his/her job description.
- Perform the duties of the recovery room nurse, if part of his/her job description.
Included in these duties:
- Explain the procedure to the patient to gain cooperation and alleviate apprehension. Provide emotional support.
- Administer medication in accordance to protocol.
- Provide assistance to the physician and technicians during procedure.
- Maintain awareness of the comfort and safety needs of the patients.
- Use monitoring devices and/or observation, notifying the physician of any significant changes in the patient’s condition.
- Alert the physician of any condition or deviation from the required procedural preparation that could lead to some adverse reaction.
- Know the location and use of emergency equipment.
- Participate in unit quality improvement activities, education, and/or experiences.
- Provide support to technicians during procedures.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Graduate nurse from a three-year diploma school or four-year college or university.
- Three years of experience in medical-surgical field.
- Endoscopy experience is preferred.
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations
- B.L.S. certified
- Active Maine R.N. license
- ACLS certification encouraged
- CGRN encouraged
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Exposure Determination – Category A
Per OSHA Regulations, any employee whose job classification falls into either Category A or B will be offered the Hepatitis B vaccination.
Hours of Operation
Hours may vary or change based on operational needs of the practice. No holidays, evenings or weekends.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities and reports to the Clinical Nurse Manager.Apply Online