General Summary of Duties
The prospective hire will be responsible for coordinating the daily operations of our surgery center; including staffing, patient flow, and provision of patient care. This candidate will oversee the Risk Management / Quality and Performance Improvement Program; which includes compliance with local, state, and federal licensing bodies; and facility, safety, and accreditation requirements. Duties also include monitoring of budgets; developing and planning strategies to manage program growth and ensure business stability.
- Interviews, hires, and supervises assigned staff
- Develops performance goals and objectives for assigned staff
- Performs performance evaluation, recommends merit increases, promotions, and disciplinary actions
- Arranges/schedules/assigns staff resources for endoscopy procedures, recovery, admission, and tech functions
- Arranges appropriate training/development for all staff
- Maintains personnel files, ensuring that all staff keeps up with appropriate licensure and certification at all times
- Responsible for staff communications – postings, staff meetings and minutes, and communications book
- Supervision of the surgery center’s Charge RNs
Patient Care and Flow:
- Able to perform all duties of endoscopy procedure room nurse and recovery nurse
- Responsible for day-to-day operations – staff management, running of surgery unit, resolution of conflict issues related to patients, staff, equipment, or materials necessary to the delivery of patient care
- Through staff, maintains readiness of patient admission, procedure, and recovery rooms and supplies/equipment
- Orders, or directs ordering, of pharmaceuticals, solutions, equipment, and supplies and maintains required records on narcotics
- Assigns procedure rooms and flow for maximum efficiency
- Coordinates and monitors patient flow issues within the surgery unit
- Works with other departments to improve practice efficiency, patient flow, and coordinated interrelated functions
- Ensures through staff that patients receive appropriate materials related to PGC, our services, and patient health
- Initial staff resource for resolution of patient complaints
- Responsible for maintaining surgery center licensure by the State of Maine
- Responsible for maintaining surgery center accreditation by AAAHC
- Responsible for maintaining continued surgery center Medicare certification
- Maintains appropriate CLIA licensing status
- Maintains appropriate DEA license status for surgery center’s acquisition of pharmaceuticals
- Responsible for risk management functions: including fire safety, facility, medical equipment maintenance, and OSHA requirements through the Facilities Coordinator
- Ensures patient scheduling/rescheduling guidelines are followed within the surgery center
- Assists with development of additional policies and procedures
- Monitors policies and procedures to ensure staff compliance and ensures the provision of the highest quality of care and service to the patient
- Responsible for coordination/completion of all facets of the PGC Quality and Performance Improvement Audit Programs; including compilation and analysis, coordinating and scheduling the QAPI/RM committee, scheduling and preparing required summary reports to be presented to the Board of Directors, and closing the “quality loop” with physicians, management, and staff
- Responsible for coordinating various benchmarking programs as required by AAAHC, other licensing bodies, and management. Duties will include the compilation and comparative analysis of data, identification of trends, and opportunities for improvement in various areas of comparison. Reports may be presented to physicians, management and/or staff as appropriate.
- Responsible for maintaining all documentation related to the QAPI Program, QI studies, and benchmarking efforts in a legible and organized method as deemed acceptable by AAAHC, management, and PGC policies as they may change from time to time
- As part of QAPI, this position is responsible for the Medical Risk Management Program
- Ensures compliance with PGC standards of quality patient care
- Work within approved budgets
- Strategize operational efficiencies – human resources, supply chain management
- Works in collaboration with other departments to maximize ASC utilization and service lines
Directly supervises nursing, tech, and file clerk staff in the Portland Endoscopy Center and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees (in consultation with the Administrator); addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Master’s degree (MA) or equivalent; or four to ten years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Registered Nursing License required; Masters preferred
Skills and Ability
Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, patients, organizations, and the public. Also, must be able to identify, solve, and correct errors, as well as plan workflow and implement appropriate actions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee Exposure Determination – Category A
Per OSHA Regulations, any employee whose job classification falls into either Category A or B will be offered the Hepatitis B vaccination.
Hours of Operation
Hours may vary or change based on operational needs of the Practice.
This position reports to the Practice Administrator and Executive Committee.Apply Online