Bowel Cleansing Instructions
On this page, you will find three options for bowel cleansing instructions: our specially produced video, a downloadable PDF of our Getting Ready brochure, and text instructions.
7 Days Prior to your procedure stop taking or eating the following:
Fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Citrucel and Fiberall
Do not eat nuts, seeds, popcorn, or corn (other examples include tomatoes, granola with dried fruit, raisins)
Take all other medications.
PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE IF:
- You are diabetic.
- You are pregnant.
- You are on Coumadin, Warfarin, Plavix or any other anti-coagulation therapy.
- You have an artificial heart valve, internal cardiac defibrillator (ICD), prior history of heart valve infection or require antibiotics prior to medical procedures.
- You are on dialysis, or have chronic kidney disease and see a kidney specialist.
Purchase the following items from any pharmacy or grocery store:
(If you have purchased our Colon Prep Kit, please skip this step.)
Bisacodyl or Dulcolax laxative tablets
You will need 4 tablets.
HERE’S A TIP!:
On the DAY BEFORE Your PROCEDURE
OK to eat one meal, before 11 AM, but only from the following list of foods:
- Boiled or poached egg
- Cottage cheese
- Yogurt (no granola or fruit chunks in it)
- Chicken, turkey or fish without skin
- White bread or toast without butter
At 11 AM: Begin drinking ONLY clear liquids.
DO NOT EAT SOLID FOOD.
A clear liquid is one that you can see through.
(NOTHING RED, PURPLE OR BLUE.)
EXAMPLES OF CLEAR LIQUIDS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Clear beef or chicken broth, such as bouillon cubes dissolved in water
- Except for red, purple or blue, you can have Popsicles
- Coconut water (NOT coconut milk)
- Strained fruit juice such as apple or white grape juice
- Coffee and tea (without cream or dairy products)
- Soft drinks
- At 1 PM: Take (2) Bisacodyl or Dulcolax laxative tablets.
- From 2 to 5 PM: Mix your 8.3 oz. bottle of Miralax or Gavilax with 64 ounces of orange, green or yellow Gatorade, Propel Water, Vitamin Water or coconut water.
- (You may mix solution ONE HOUR before and chill in the refrigerator.)
- Once it’s mixed, drink an 8-ounce glass every 10 to 20 minutes until you have drunk half the mixture (32 ounces).
As you drink the mixture you may feel nauseous or like you need to use the bathroom. It’s a good idea to stay close to your bathroom while you drink the mixture. If you do start to feel nauseous, stop drinking the prep solution for a while until the feeling passes, then resume. At this point, about 2 hours after you’ve started drinking the prep solution, you should have started having bowel movements.
HERE’S A TIP! If you find that you have not yet started moving your bowels 2 hours after you started drinking your prep solution, please continue drinking the other half of the solution (the other 32 ounces).
On the MORNING/DAY of your PROCEDURE
4 to 5 hours prior to your scheduled procedure, drink the remaining 32 ounces of the Miralax or Gavilax mixture, 8 ounces every 10 to 20 minutes, until it’s all gone. If you had to drink the entire 64 ounces the day before because your prep was not working well, then you should take the 10 oz. bottle of magnesium citrate at this point, instead.
Finally, take two (2) Bisacodyl (Dulcolax) laxative tablets. Complete this process 3 hours BEFORE your scheduled procedure. Do not eat or drink anything else! Your stool should be clear and yellow. This chart will help you judge your progress!
HERE’S A TIP! Many people who have an early morning exam with us ask if they really need to wake up at 2 or 3 AM to do this. The answer is “No, you don’t have to.” If your exam is before 10 AM, you can take all of the prep materials the day before the exam.
Your stool should be clear and yellow.
This chart will help you judge your progress!
The importance of a GOOD PREP
Your prep is one of the most important parts of your colonoscopy. Without a good prep–your bowel empty and clean–your gastroenterologist will not be able to see your colon clearly. This could lead to missing a polyp or rescheduling your colonoscopy.
Here are photos that show the difference between a good prep and a bad prep, so you can see why prep is important.
REMEMBER: YOU MUST BRING SOMEONE WHO WILL DRIVE YOU HOME.
Please leave all jewelry at home.
If you have any questions, please call the office at 207-773-7964.
Please plan on being at the facility approximately 2 to 2.5 hours from arrival to departure.
Vita Coco® DCW Creations/Shutterstock.com MiraLAX® and Gatorade®>LunaseeStudios/Shutterstock.com Sprite®-Fanta®-Coca-Cola® Chones/Shutterstock.com Kool-Aid® jfmdesign/istockphoto.com Dulcolax® UrbanImages/Alamy Stock Photo